A "Stop Payment" allows you to stop payment on a check, range of checks or pre-authorized payment (excluding cashier's checks, money orders or other cash equivalent items).
To place a Stop Payment:
• Sign On to PNC Online Banking.
• Click the "Customer Service" tab.
• Select "Stop Payment" from the Account Services section.
• Select the type of stop that you would like to place.
• The screens that follow will walk you through the remaining steps to place the stop payment.
All Stop Payment requests on a pre-authorized payment must be received by PNC at least three (3) business days before the payment is scheduled to be made. Once placed, Stop Payment orders remain effective for six (6) months from the date authorized. You can place another stop payment order for an additional six months when the expiration date arrives.
Stop Payment requests on checks are not effective if, either before or within 24 hours from the time when the stop payment was requested, PNC Bank cashes the check or has become otherwise legally obligated for its payment. PNC Bank will assume no responsibility if any information provided is incorrect or incomplete and would cause the check or pre-authorized payment or transfer order to be paid (i.e., incorrect check number, date, account number, or invalid amount).
Please note that additional fees may apply. For more information, refer to the applicable schedule of service charges and fees:
• Virtual Wallet Features and Fees
• Service Charges and Fees (non-Virtual Wallet)
• Business Banking Service Charges and Fees